Dear teachers in European, US and Israeli Jewish schools,
the Centropa Jewish Network invites you to its 2nd lesson plan competition! Try out the resource packs we have created in cooperation with the National Library of Israel (NLI), test them in your classroom, and send us your lesson plan to win prizes!
Who can participate?
All teachers can participate who teach in a Jewish school in Europe, Israel or North America. Primary, secondary and high school teachers are all welcome to submit their lesson plans.
September 15, 2021 – April 29, 2022
How can you participate?
- Choose a Centropa & NLI resource pack (see below);
- Create a lesson using at least 2 materials (photos, films, worksheets) from the resource pack;
- Teach the lesson in your class;
- Fill out the lesson plan template with the details of the lesson, and our online feedback form;
- Send your lesson plan to Tina Hemera (hemera(at)centropa.org) by April 29, 2022 (Friday) midnight (CET).
- You can send us multiple lesson plans if you would like.
Resource packs to choose from
- Poland: Learn more about the long and complex history of the Jewish community of Poland through photographs, articles and historical artefacts.
- Jewish Communities in the Balkans: This resource pack explores the rich and long history of the Jewish communities of the Balkans region, including Serbia, Macedonia, Greece, and Turkey.
- Hungary: The Jewish community of Hungary is the largest in East Central Europe with most living in the capital, Budapest. This resource pack explores the rich history and culture of the Jewish community of Hungary throughout the ages.
- Children in the Holocaust: This resource pack explores the stories of children who were saved from the Holocaust before the outbreak of World War II, through photographs, videos, articles, documents and more.
- Ukraine: Discover the story of the Jewish community of the Ukraine, which developed new ideas and organizations such as Hasidim, the Haskalah and Zionism. Learn more about this significant and influential community through photographs, religious items, important figures and more.
When evaluating the lesson plans, the following criteria will be taken into consideration:
- the knowledge students gained from the project;
- the creativity of the lesson plan: the originality of your project ideas;
- technical details of the lesson plan: the description of each tool, how feasible it is and how understandable it is for the readers.
We publish all lesson plans on the CJN website, and the best ones receive prizes:
- Winner: 200 EUR gift card
- Runners-up: 150 EUR gift card
If you are interested in taking part in the competition, please let us know by sending an email to Tina Hemera (CJN coordinator) at hemera(at)centropa.org!
We are looking forward to receiving your submissions!